Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dust

"Remember, man, that you are dust and unto dust you shall return."

Today is Ash Wednesday, a day when Catholics receive ashes on their foreheads and are reminded of the words above.

I've always liked Ash Wednesday. While some might look on it as a somber beginning to the somber season of Lent, I rather think it's merely an opportunity. No matter what religion you practice, if any, I can assure you of one thing: you are going to die. There's no way out of it. Being cognizant of that fact, however, provides each of us with opportunity to make sure that we make the most of our time here before we shuffle off this mortal coil (thank you, Shakespeare, for that most poetic of phrases describing death).

I utilize every Ash Wednesday to take an introspective look at my life and really question where I'm at and where I'm going. Ideally I should be doing that every day, but there's something about getting ashes on one's forehead that makes one think about it just a little bit more.

Definitely one of my favorite days of the liturgical year.

3 comments: