Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mile High Places - Equitable Building and Brown Palace Hotel

Hello All,

Sorry about the lack of posts lately. I'm focusing on getting settled into the new job and the life adjustments related to it. I'll have some thoughts on both in the coming days.

For now, I thought I'd share some shots from one of my ongoing projects. I call this project Mile High Places. It focuses on the art and architecture around the Denver Metro area. Last weekend I was out with KR wandering around downtown. I'm really happy how these two shots from two of Denver's classic buildings turned out:


The first shot is from the Equitable Building which was (and arguable still is) one of Denver's preeminent office buildings. While it's been surpassed in size, it's hard to imagine it being surpassed in grandeur. When was the last time that someone built a new office building in Denver featuring a lobby with 6.1 million hand laid mosaic tiles in the lobby and Tiffany stained glass windows? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I also like the shot of atrium at the Brown Palace Hotel which is featured in my second image. I really liked this angle taken from the fifth floor. The atrium really doesn't seem this perfectly pentagonal. The true pentagon shape can be seen in the design of the rug in the atrium. The wide angle lens and position of the camera that I used exaggerated things a little bit. While it would never make it as a documentary architectural shot, I'd like to think that it's a successful photograph.

I'm really hoping to ramp up this project soon as the days get longer. I'm making notes on buildings that would be easy to photograph on my morning or evening commute. I'll be sure to make some more blog posts as I get more shots.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris. Its great to be able to fit in some photoshoots on your daily commute to the new job. Its something I used to do. What an amazing building !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cath. Yeah, I haven't really taken advantage of shooting opportunities while commuting yet, but I will definitely be doing so in the near future.

    ReplyDelete